Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Story of my Life- Part 1

All of us, once in our lives go through a phase wherein we just want to take things slow, relax a bit and try to do some soul-searching. That's exactly what I'm going through right now. I'm thirsty for peace of mind and happiness of heart that I have decided to change the pace of my life and just make out of things a day at a time.

Let me tell you the story of my life.

I was born in Sanaa, Yemen. During that time, my parents were required to change their religion to Islam in order to get married, hence the name Samira. After a few years, my dad thought that my name sounded so Muslim-like that he opted to Sweety for my first name and of course my last name as Escarda. My mom whose name is Seema worked as a head nurse who by the way is pure Indian. And my Filipino dad, Elmer, worked as a bartender. Unfortunately their marriage only lasted for less that 5 years. I was told that there were a lot of reasons behind the failure of their marriage. There goes the differences between their culture and my dad's love affair with a Filipina co-worker. 

During the 5 years that my parents were still together, there were instances that I stayed in India. I was even surprised to learn that I studied there for 1 and a half years. But 1993-1994, I went here to the Philippines.

My dad asked my mom to send me here in the Phil. alongside his Filipino friend, my kuya Mike. My mom at that time was probably that young that she somehow agreed to my dad. Now, whenever I ask my mom she would tell me it was out of her love to my dad, she was hoping that sending me here would bring them back together. 

But that wasn't the case. Her decision turned to nightmare which up to this moment she regrets for that was the last time we saw each other.

When i first got here, I was hoping that my dad would take care of me as he promised but he didn't. Instead, I was adopted by my Uncle (my dad's brother) and his wife who as a couple didn't have kids. My mama tita worked in Intel while my papa tito worked as an OFW in Saudi Arabia. My life was normal and I found myself really happy under the care of my mama tita but I guess not everything is permanent. 

I was in 1st year high school when my mama tita and I learned about my papa tito having a second family in Davao and he was addicted to drugs, alcohol and gambling. That incident shattered my mama tita to pieces and ruined her life. It was also when my papa tito turned unsafe to be with since he was showing signs of abusing me that my mom decided for me to leave Makati and go my biological father instead who at that time was living in Romblon. Then the second chapter of my life was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment