Monday, April 23, 2012

Self Acceptance

It's funny how these days a lot of girls look almost the same. It makes me think if there is a "certain look" that has become the standard look for the young girls of today. What look exactly am I referring to? It's the meztisa, long hair, super slim, big boobs, almost china-doll kind of look. Okay fine, maybe I am exaggerating but I guess my point is not how these girls chose to look like but the process they had to go through in order to look that way.

First off, I have nothing against make-up. I actually have high respect to those professional make-up artists who do well in their expertise. Make-up, in my opinion is used to enhance the physical attributes of a woman or even a man in some cases. Say for instance, I think I have nice eyes so in order to enhance 'em, I would put a light application of mascara. Not too much as to not look like a clown but just enough to still make it look au naturel. Same thing goes with my nose, in special occasions, to make my nose look more camera-ready, I'd add a not too obvious nose line just to make it look a bit presentable in pictures. So to me, a nose line is fine but not a nose job. So I guess, I'm starting to make my point more apparent.

To enhance what we have is okay but to actually change it? Sad.

When I went to India for a 3-month vacation in 2008, I was surprised by how the marketing strategy in the cosmetics and beauty products business is. Since in India, they practice mostly natural methods in beautifying themselves, the products that are being offered are made of "natural ingredients". Garnier is actually BIG in India and when you check the ingredients, it'll tell you that it's made of sunflower seeds, this and that, which are all natural. Garnier is under Loreal, as we all know. On the other hand, whenever I would receive items from the US either from a friend or a relative, I noticed how most of their skin products are intended for tanning or darkening purposes. So you probably know where I am heading right? Loreal, who offers products in India and in the States base it on what the consumer need. So no wonder why Loreal and all the other companies when it comes to targeting the Filipino consumers focus on whitening or skin lightening products. So on and so forth.

This post will not focus on the "whitening issues" that Filipinos have. It's just one of the little things that are concerning and if not, alarming. Whenever I go outside, I would see billboards of Belo or Calayan with really sexy celebrities promoting slimming services that they have. At first look, it's pretty much convincing and even tempting, well at least to those who can afford it but to those who can't, it can be depressing. Little do people know the amount of airbrush or the skills of Adobe that were used to make that billboard a success. It is nothing but deceiving and it doesn't even promote self- acceptance or it doesn't even give a push to people's confidence.

Sorry for being a meanie but with just a few reasons stated above, I wouldn't be surprised if there are news of teenies asking their moms for a plastic surgery and stupid moms agreeing to it. Ok, so you like your daughter to feel good about herself but you are encouraging her to ALTER what's already beautiful. You think that will really make her feel good about herself? At the end of the day, when she's all alone in her room, all the material things and worldly matters won't fill up the emptiness that only self-acceptance can.

Why not instead of changing what we already have, ACCEPT it. I actually had a hard time with this self-acceptance thing. It took me a long process, a lot of tears, a lot of self-doubts, a lot of questioning... but with true friends, my family and faith in God, I was able to set aside my insecurities and let go of all my physical issues such as my color, my really huge thighs and my stretch marks. HAHAHA but trust me, it feels a LOT better now that I have accepted my flaws and identified my assets.

So for you girlies out there, before getting a nose job, think of the ff: that nose that you're wanting to get rid of, you might have gotten it from your mom or your dad who for sure is PROUD that you had their nose, if you choose to change it, who will you get it from? You'll have the same nose everyone else have and that will leave you with 0% originality. Boo! But most importantly, think of GOD. He created us in his own image. We are unique in our own ways. A nose job is not the solution, it will not make you happy and worse it'll hurt God. :( So think about it, your family loves you for who you are and your friends will accept you no matter what so get rid of that thought, love yourself and live happily! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment