Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

It took me a 8 days to finish reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", the award-winning crime novel and first of the best-selling trilogy which is the Millennium Series by the late Stieg Larsson. The book’s original title in Swedish is Män som hatar kvinnor – "Men Who Hate Women". It was published in 2005 and later in 2008 it was published in English. It was a success in both the European countries and as well as in the United States. Larsson shows a great yet disturbing depth in the book and when I searched him on Wikipedia it clearly explained the reason behind the intellectual book.
(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_with_the_Dragon_Tattoo): Larsson witnessed the gang rape of a young girl when he was 15. He never forgave himself for failing to help the girl, whose name was Lisbeth – like the young main character of his books, herself a rape victim, which inspired the theme of sexual violence against women in his books.

Here’s how I would describe the book in two words: brilliant mindfuck. I wouldn’t want to spoil you with the story since you can read it yourself and if you’re quite lazy then you can just see the movie. This is just my personal view on the book. I totally loved it! It’s been a long time since I’ve read something that actually had a great effect on me. I remember I was reading it one night and I had to leave the lights open ‘cuz I was paranoid that the killer was just next to me. Yes, there is a killer and that is where the story evolves.

Allow me to give you just a gist of what the story is all about. The book starts with journalist Mikael Blomkvist who was sued with a libel case by a billionaire industrialist Hans-Erik Wennerström. His career and his credibility was at streaks that he somehow agreed on signing a contract with Henrik Vanger of the legenday Vanger Corp. Blomkvist was then assigned to solve a mystery that has been haunting the Vanger family for more than 40 years and that is the disappearance of Harriet Vanger. In his search for the truth which eventually became a case he couldn’t get enough of, he needed the help and assistance of an experienced researcher by the name of Lisbeth Salander who was also a genius computer hacker and had the gift of a photographic memory. So there.. that’s just 5% of the whole story, and the rest you would have to read yourselves. Bitin ba?

I’m not good in giving book reviews, as this is my first. I might end up telling you what happened so let me be more subjective. Larsson’s trilogy is quite addictive. My next read is The Girl who Played with Fire. I love Salander’s character that I feel it sinking inside my skin. I could totally relate to her when it comes to her reaction on certain situations. I actually wanna be like her sometimes. Haha! The book starts pretty well until it gets just a bit boring when it tackled that Vanger family tree. Maybe I don’t have the patience to know who the family members are. Everything turned fast-paced when Salander and Blomkvist were working hand in hand, completing the puzzle in a systematic and dramatic way.

Most parts of the book became a total shock as well. Some of which would be Salander’s unwanted torture from her 2nd guardian. There was also the short relationship Mikael had with Cecilia Vanger which was rather gross to me. And third, is the turning out of the events, the expose of Martin Vanger and the fate of Harriet Vanger of what exactly happened to her. It was a roller-coaster read that for most of the time I had to light a cig to keep me from being too tense with the tweaks of the story. I like it how Lisbeth is such a kickass that most of the problems encountered in the book were solved by her but I simply could not comprehend how it seems to me that Blomkvist doesn’t really like her the way she liked him. He would always tell her about their age gap or he would remind her of their relationship as work partners, which to me is a clear sign that he wasn’t into her.

All in all, the book was pretty much satisfying. And I would recommend it to anyone at any day. I can’t wait to get my hands on the second book of the trilogy. It might take me another week or so, ask why? I only read during my available time at work or any other chance I get except for when I’m at home since that is time devoted to my boys. Oh well, nuf of this shit. Just go read the book and Read to Lead! Hell yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment